Road map for next Restlet Framework version

Road map for next Restlet Framework version

Jerome Louvel-3
Hi all,

As we are getting very close to releasing our new stable 2.2.0 version, I have as usual started to plan for the next release. It's always a great moment to reflect on the project recent accomplishments and future direction.

The overall goal is to develop a version 2.3 providing enhancements on top of current 2.2 branch in order to keep Restlet Framework on the edge of the most important innovations in the Java and Web API worlds.

Below is a road map proposal. Please share your thoughts!

Restlet Framework 2.3 (draft)

Higher priority

  • Web API documentation
    • integration with online APISpark platform
    • integration with embedded Swagger
  • OAuth 2.0 support
    • complete implementation and tests
    • proper documentation
  • JAX-RS 2.0 support
    • server-side and client-side
    • embedding JBoss RESTEasy core
  • Restlet API refactoring
    • direct converters configuration
    • direct connectors configuration
    • direct access to raw HTTP headers
    • replace string constants by enums
  • Revamp documentation
    • new tutorial
    • better user guide

Medium priority

  • Java 7 requirement
    • modern Javadoc style
  • Jetty 9.1 upgrade
    • client connector
    • SPDY and HTTP 2.0 protocols
  • Netty 5.0 integration
    • target best performance in TechEmpower benchmark
    • revamp old 2.0 extension
  • Restlet API enhancements
    • CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) headers support
    • transparent HTTP PATCH support (JSON and XML patch/diff)
    • new ValidationService for representation beans
    • new CacheService for client calls optimization
    • support exceptions conversion
    • add ServerProxy interface equivalent to ClientProxy

Lower priority

  • Continuous integration
    • Travis integration with GitHub to test commits
    • Jenkins service to produce daily snapshots
  • Distribute client-side profiles of JARs
    • reduce footprint, especially for Android edition
  • Mailing lists migration to Google Groups
    • complete migration out of Tigris.org