Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Jerome Louvel-3
Hi all,

We are quickly progressing towards our 2.2.0 release with another release candidate 3 available:

Here are the latest changes since 2.2 RC1:
  • Add JSON related media types.
  • Moved all the remaining NIO logic from previous internal HTTP connector to the org.restlet.ext.nio.
    • this helps reduce org.restlet.jar file size
    • now org.restlet.jar has a size of 668Kb
    • 50 Kb saved compared to version 2.1.7
  • Call.isBroken does not detect Tomcat ClientAbortException.
  • DELETE responses send 200 status without any entity, whereas it should be 204.
  • NioUtils.copy(..) logic that sometimes created Cyclic barrier exceptions has been moved as well and replaced with the older and more stable logic that was in place in version 2.1.0 and older releases.
  • Allow Delete methods with entities
  • Allow configuring Apache HTTP Client's HostnameVerifier
  • Short term fix for XStream - remote code execution due to insecure XML deserialization
Next 2.2 RC4 planned at the end of this week should include:
  • Swagger ext enhancements to support Restlet API introspection in addition to JAX-RS API
  • improve web site for Maven and Eclipse downloads + email notifications
  • Git branch creation for Restlet Framework V3
Please continue contributing tests and pull requests!

Re: Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Arjohn Kampman-2
Hi Jerome,

Will this release also change how empty entity are treated? We've been
bitten a couple of times now by restlet's habbit to convert empty
entities to <null>.

Cheers,
Arjohn

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3074087

Re: Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Jerome Louvel-3
Hi Arjohn,

We had another report for this issue that we just fixed:

It will be part of 2.2 RC4 due early next week. Let us know if it works for you.

Hi Jerome,

Will this release also change how empty entity are treated? We've been
bitten a couple of times now by restlet's habbit to convert empty
entities to <null>.

Cheers,
Arjohn

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3074087

Re: Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Arjohn Kampman-2
Hi Jerome,

Great to hear that.

We were also having problem with incoming entities. To give an example:

SomeServerResource {
    @Post void postIdSet(IdSet idSet) {
       // code here

An empty IdSet is serialized to an empty entity (byte[0]). We'd expect
the converter service to deserialize the entity back to an empty IdSet,
but that converter is never invoked and restlet passes <null> for the
idSet parameter instead.

I've posted a related question to this list some time ago, see
http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2950796

Looking at the code in GitHub, I don't think that this has been fixed
yet. Could you have a look?

Cheers,
Arjohn

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3074126

Re: Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Jerome Louvel-3
Thanks Arjohn for reporting this again.

I have just entered an issue that we'll try to fix before 2.2.0:

Do you think you could contribute a fix/pull request?

Best,

Hi Jerome,

Great to hear that.

We were also having problem with incoming entities. To give an example:

SomeServerResource {
    @Post void postIdSet(IdSet idSet) {
       // code here

An empty IdSet is serialized to an empty entity (byte[0]). We'd expect
the converter service to deserialize the entity back to an empty IdSet,
but that converter is never invoked and restlet passes <null> for the
idSet parameter instead.

I've posted a related question to this list some time ago, see
http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2950796

Looking at the code in GitHub, I don't think that this has been fixed
yet. Could you have a look?

Cheers,
Arjohn

On 06/03/2014 20:20, Jerome Louvel wrote:
> Hi Arjohn,
>
> We had another report for this issue that we just fixed:
> https://github.com/restlet/restlet-framework-java/issues/848
>
> It will be part of 2.2 RC4 due early next week. Let us know if it
> works for you.
>
> Best regards,
> Jerome

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3074126

Re: Restlet Framework 2.2 RC3 released

Arjohn Kampman-2
Hi Jerome,

Don't have a lot of time to contribute ATM. My impression is that the
Representation.getSize() != 0 checks are the main cause of this issue.
IMHO these should be removed from ConverterService.toObject() and
Representation.isAvailable(), but perhaps also in other places.

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=3074485