Re: Browsing the content of a zip and/or tarball

Re: Browsing the content of a zip and/or tarball

Jeff Ramsdale
It's not a Restlet tool, but Apache Commons VFS might provide the
low-level file access you need and you could wrap it with a Restlet:

http://commons.apache.org/vfs/

-jeff

Marc-Elian BŽégin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a Restlet mechanism (Directory or other) such that if a user
> hits a zip file or tarball, the content of the file is opened
> server-side and its content is returned to the user?  This would avoid
> the user having to save the file and use another program to look inside
> the file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Meb

Re: Browsing the content of a zip and/or tarball

Marc-Elian Bégin
Hi Jeff and Jerome,

Jerome, I'd love to contribute to Restlet, but at the moment we're busy
preparing a release alpha of our cloud powered full-scale system-test
automation application, so I have very few free cycles.  I'm really
interested in learning how you guys design and test though, so I hope to
find time in the not too distant future.

Jeff, thanks for the tip.  We were thinking of something like that to
start with where we would wrap the zip and/or tarball access logic with
Restlet.  I'm keen to contribute this simpler solution and the unittests
that will come with it so that we can go towards perhaps a more generic
solution for everybody.

Cheers,

Meb

Thanks for the tip Jeff.

Jeff Ramsdale wrote:

> It's not a Restlet tool, but Apache Commons VFS might provide the
> low-level file access you need and you could wrap it with a Restlet:
>
> http://commons.apache.org/vfs/
>
> -jeff
>
> Marc-Elian BŽégin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a Restlet mechanism (Directory or other) such that if a user
>> hits a zip file or tarball, the content of the file is opened
>> server-side and its content is returned to the user?  This would avoid
>> the user having to save the file and use another program to look
>> inside the file.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Meb

Re: Browsing the content of a zip and/or tarball

Rob Heittman
I also can report good results using TrueZip to explore inside archives of various types (https://truezip.dev.java.net/)  If you need pluggable support for the whole suite of common archives (.tar, .tar.gz, etc.) and/or need write access, this may be the way to go.

Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
It's not a Restlet tool, but Apache Commons VFS might provide the low-level file access you need and you could wrap it with a Restlet:

http://commons.apache.org/vfs/

-jeff

RE: Browsing the content of a zip and/or tarball

jlouvel
Administrator
Hi all,

Thanks Rob for the suggestion, TrueZip looks so powerful! We should definitely consider supporting it. VFS is another similar tool, but it has a lot of overlap with our Restlet Client API. I've added your suggestions as comments to the RFE.

Also, there is a related RFE that we want to explore in Restlet 1.2:

"Support composite representations"

Part of this feature should cover the URI addressability of composite representations' parts.

Best regards,
Jérôme Louvel
--
Restlet ~ Founder and Lead developer ~