Porting restlets in Go language

Xavier Méhaut
Hello,
I know it is a little bit out of scope, but I would like to know if  porting Restlets in Go language would interest someone.
I'm quite sure that Go will become an important language in a foreseeable future, and its characteristics would suit perfectly for restlets too, especially its efficiency, its portability, its already abundant libraries (especially for network communications), and the simplicity of the language.
Of course it couldn't be a one to one porting but we could keep concepts, and maybe a lot of api...
What do you think about this proposal?
regards
Xavier

RE: Porting restlets in Go language

jlouvel
Administrator

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the recent support for Go in Google App Engine, I think we should consider such a port in the middle term. Our priority right now is a JavaScript port, but next we could look into C-based languages like C#, Go and C++.

I’ve updated our specification page accordingly:

http://wiki.restlet.org/developers/172-restlet/g1/391-restlet.html

The goal is to automate the maximum number of artifacts based on the Java main trunk, using our code customization tools and enhancing them. It would also be useful to start from a minimal manual port to ensure we have a clear target for code convertion/generation.

http://www.restlet.org

http://twitter.com/#!/jlouvel

Xavier

RE: Porting restlets in Go language

jlouvel
Administrator

Thanks Xavier, I’ve added those references to the specs page and classified the existing ones as well.