Modification of the Content of a Representation?

Modification of the Content of a Representation?

Sopasakis Pantelis
Hello,
 I'm using Restlet 2.0 m3 to build a web service and I'd like to know if
there is some way to tackle this weird problem:

I want the numbers 1,2,3,4,... to appear on the browser, on every 2
seconds. (In fact I need to do something more complicated, but If you
give me some instructions on how to do that it would be great). Usually
I use objects of type StringRepresentation or OutputRepresentation but I
have not yet found some way to modify the content of the representation
once it is returned to the client. Is there some kind of OutputStream I
could use to manipulate the representations dynamically?

Thank you in advance,

Sopasakis Pantelis
Dipl. Chemical Engineer,
MSc. Applied Mathematics
National Technical University of Athens
Automatic Control Laboratory
email: [hidden email]

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2432959

Re: Modification of the Content of a Representation?

Niclas Hedhman
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Sopasakis Pantelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'm using Restlet 2.0 m3 to build a web service and I'd like to know if
> there is some way to tackle this weird problem:
>
> I want the numbers 1,2,3,4,... to appear on the browser, on every 2
> seconds. (In fact I need to do something more complicated, but If you
> give me some instructions on how to do that it would be great). Usually
> I use objects of type StringRepresentation or OutputRepresentation but I
> have not yet found some way to modify the content of the representation
> once it is returned to the client. Is there some kind of OutputStream I
> could use to manipulate the representations dynamically?

I think you are mistaken for what this technology provides. After a
chunk of data has been transferred to the client, there is no
"chatter" happening between the client and server.

You may be asking about how to write Javascript to update the DOM on
the client side. There are better forums than this one for that. For
instance, GWT provides a lot of nice things for Java developers to
write client-side solutions. But that is just one out of many options.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java