Current status and future of the Restlet framework

Current status and future of the Restlet framework

Hannes Ebner-3
Hi,

Looking at the Github repo and the activity in the issue tracker makes me worry about the current status and the future of the Restlet framework.

I'm aware of the acquisition and its possible implications, but it would be great to get a clear statement about what is likely to happen with the framework.

Best regards,
Hannes

Re: Current status and future of the Restlet framework

Jerome Louvel-4
Hi Hannes,

Thanks for reaching out on this topic. I understqnd your concerns, so let me take this opportunity to give a general update.

In Q2 already and through the end of 2019, we'll actively be working on the transition of all the Restlet community and technology into Talend's organization and infrastructure, focusing primariky on the closed source Restlet Platform (Studio and Client modules) but not forgetting the open source Restlet Framework.

We are planning this transition in a way that should be the least disruptive to the open source community, in term of licenses (unchanged), access to downloads, documentation, Maven repository and so on. Website hosting will likely migrate to GitHub Pages for examples.

Beyond this transition step in 2019 for Restlet Framework and any required maintenance version on the 2.x branch, we are also working to assess the future of the framework in its evolving ecosystem where APIs are continuing to gain importance along with microservices and service mesh, and where Java is getting modernized with exciting projects like Quarkus emerging.

It would be great to hear any thought the community has on what would make the most sense for a potential v3 of Restlet Framework, if Talend was to fund its development, or if major contributions were to be made by other community members.

Best regards,
Jerome Louvel
Restlet Framework founder

Looking at the Github repo and the activity in the issue tracker makes me worry about the current status and the future of the Restlet framework.

I'm aware of the acquisition and its possible implications, but it would be great to get a clear statement about what is likely to happen with the framework.

Best regards,
Hannes

As a recipient of an email from Talend, your contact personal data will be on our systems. Please see our contacts privacy notice at Talend, Inc.

RE: Current status and future of the Restlet framework

Jerome Louvel-4
Hi all,

I'd like to give you an update on the Restlet transition to Talend.

First, I wanted to reassure the community that while we announced yesterday the end-of-life of the commercial Restlet Platform in October, as we complete its transition to Talend Cloud, this doesn't concern the open source Restlet Framework.

As outlined in my previous email, our R&D team is working to ensure a smooth transition of the Restlet Framework community including the documentation, downloads and Maven repository to GitHub Pages and Talend's infrastructure.

Note that the Eclipse/p2 update site won't be migrated to the new infrastructure, but statistics indicate that very few persons will be impacted. If you have any concern, please let me know ASAP. As we complete this first step, normally in October, we'll publish a minor version 2.4.2 along the way.

Then, we are planning to release a version 2.5.0 soon after, updating all the framework dependencies, deprecating or removing extensions that are less relevant today. The goal is to have the most useful scope to maintain moving forward, and simplify the current state as we consider our options down the road.

RE: Current status and future of the Restlet framework

Jerome Louvel-4
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that we've completed the transition of Restlet Framework website to GitHub Pages, plus some supporting Talend infrastructure for the Maven artifacts and downloadable files!

You can see our new project home here:

The GitHub repository is still at the same location for now:

In addition, we've recently released a minor 2.4.2 update, and the related documentation:

It's been a lot of work to plan and deliver on behalf of Talend's API R&D team, so I'd like to thank them here. If you encounter any related issue, please let us know.

We still have a lot of documentation to update with new links, footer, etc. and will tackle this early next year. In addition, we're planning to release a version 2.5 in January that will update the extensions and their libraries, plus remove the deprecated extensions to reduce the framework footprint to the most valuable capabilities.

Stay tuned!
Jerome Louvel