Beginner Questions

M E

Beginner Questions

M E
Hi

Please verify  the following:

  • I understand that a Resource should at least determine one Variant in its Resource.getVariants() list which will probably created by "new Variant()" to initialize the media type; where every resource should  response with a MediaType.

  • I understand that you can create one Variant (say a DomRepresentation) to be returned by the default implementation of Resource.getRepresenation().

Also please answer the following question:
I don't get how a list of variants is used, I don't get how the Resource will choose a variant from that list.  Also I did not find a way to determine Preferred Variant, Say you are sending HTTP get via a browser,  how the request of the client determine the Variant  which will  be chosen  by  a Resource, if this ever happen.

Thanks

Re: Beginner Questions

this is simply called content negotiation (handled on server side). The
HTTP protocol allows the HTTP client to set its preferences in some
dedicated headers (ACCEPT, ACCEPT-LANGUAGE, etc. See =>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_negotiation).
You can check the headers sent by your Internet browser, and you will
get it.
On server side, this mecanism relies only on the declaration of the
variants supported by a resource. The framework automatically confronts
the client preferences with the variants supported by the resource.
So, from the developper point of view, you just have to list the
supported variants.

NB: at this time in the Restlet framework, the content negotiation
feature analyses the media-type and the languages preferences.

best regards,
THierry Boileau